Friday, January 10, 2014

African-inspired Necklaces

I'm in love with African fashion, fabric motifs, and especially the jewelry!  This book - New African Fashion - hasn't had a chance to even make it to my bookshelf yet as it's been following me around the studio for months.

About a year and a half ago I started experimenting with creating these fabric neck ropes and they've been a huge success.  Virtually weightless, they're easy to stack and layer different patterns and colours.  See more of them in my Etsy shop at www.ritavantassel.com




People are always curious about what's inside them (literally just rope - cats aren't included), as well as interested in the process itself.  I have few secrets, and how I make my pieces isn't usually among them.  :)



So as an insider's scoop I've put together a video for my Giddy Up Workshop channel on how the pieces are put together.  Experiment and see what kinds of variations you can create!  
CLICK HERE for the direct link.



7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for saying so, Samantha. I'm completely infatuated with African fabric patterns and colours!

      Delete
  2. Nice work i like to try it too where can get the copper ring it make it look nice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great fabrics. i love this fabrics. you may try with African Wax Print.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful nackless. really look beautiful with african dress. we have a great collection of african fabrics and fashions WHOLE SELL AFRICAN FABRICS, AFRICAN GEORGE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Necklaces good design want to see more design visitCheap African Clothing

    ReplyDelete